Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Do we WANT to go?

That's the question the Steven's asked us last week. "Are you feeling like this is what you WANT?" It's been a good focus for us this week. Seems like we've been focusing on whether or not God is calling us to this, and we've been trying hard to figure out if we could survive without the things we'd be giving up...it's almost like we haven't allowed ourselves to truly get excited about what we'd be gaining. And when the fears and things holding us back are not forefront in our thoughts....we wish we were there yesterday! Especially when it comes to doing ministry in a fresh way, in a place where most people have no contact with God. Where we'd be doing ministry in new ways, not to be trendy and different from the 50 other churches around us, but because we HAVE to if people are going to be transformed. A chance to start fresh with a new vision, new passion. Yes, all that sounds so exciting. We're wanting it more and more.

It feels a bit like we have this never ending dual conversation going on in our heads - not so much good guy vs. bad guy; more heart vs. logic I guess. Again, we covet your prayers for us these next few weeks. We're continuing to set aside specific time to focus on hearing from God concerning this decision. Steve said the other day that whether right or wrong, he feels like he's waiting for that "aha moment," that clear, undeniable call from God. We've both had it in several continual small ways. Why does every sermon, song, even movie seem to point to doing the right thing or heeding the call at hand?!?! Seriously, the sermons these last few weeks have felt like they were being preached to just us. Right down to words like "going to the other side of the pond to follow God" and "leaving your father and mother." Maybe this is God's way... I guess I feel like I had that big moment - especially last spring when I clearly heard God say it was time to look into this more. So pray for Steve to hear God's clear voice, even if it's still and small. He desires for it to be obvious. I guess in part because there are still so many unknowns. We'd be walking into SOO much uncharted territory. I think that's where the fears start to come in. Are we equipped? Are we talking ourselves into the role when in reality we're just not cut out for it?

So, there you go. Vulnerable us. Thanks for your prayers. We have felt them. And thanks for being patient. Forgive us if we seem slow. I guess we're a bit rusty at the major life changing decision making stuff! I have felt a bit of "would ya hurry up and decide" from a few of you (really, i think it's more that you're just truly encouraging us to follow God!), but we're thankful for your support so far. You're part of this when you pray!

No comments: